Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Trial and Error:
Butchering a whole chicken

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
The last time I had that thought was when I was in the third grade and decided to get a perm, the problem was I had bangs, I permed my bangs too. For the next 3-6 months I would be called Rick James, a moniker my sisters found amusing to my dismay. I could laugh about it now.
But, I digress...
I remember watching my mom butcher a whole chicken, seemed easy... at the time.
However, once I was halfway into my first butchering experience I had this very clear vision of her
hacking away at the poor bird with brute force, especially when it came to the bones.
I did my research, watched a video on youtube and studied a diagram. I was seriously into this project. The first cut was a breeze, the second was a challenge and by the third I'd had it. I kept thinking about James Franco when I got to that pesky wing, would it take me 127 hours to butcher this chicken? I gave up, no shame whatsoever. I chickened out!
I can honestly say that butchering is not for me, I'll leave it to the pros.
Though it wasn't for me, I am glad to have given it a try because (at least) I had; 1 bone in breast, 1 boneless breast, 1 skinless/boneless thigh and two drumsticks. I don't know what happened to the other thigh or the wings for that matter.

2 comments:

  1. LOLOL the rest of the bird took flight when you weren't looking ;) With mine they impale themselves on my knife to spare themselves a second demise...Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have had no success in cutting up a bird, either before or after cooking. The knife handle always seems to becomes a fatty, slippery affair, mocking my efforts. The pieces always look..well..butchered! I can never get them nice and neat. Is it the knife? Is it me? I agree, leave it to the pros!

    ReplyDelete