Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Welcome to beet!


I am a virgin blogger so please bear with me:)

My first posting is dedicated to my Grandma, whom was better known as Mama Cuca.
Mama Cuca was a magnificent cook and though she masterfully minced many veggies and meats throughout her life she was never one to mince words;) So on a crisp day I made this soup and decided to brave her critique. To my surprise she enjoyed it and asked for it on other occasions.

To make this soup you will need:

8 carrots peeled and cut into thirds
2 small or one medium potato peeled and chopped
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon of olive oil
chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter
A pinch of curry powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Sliced almonds lightly toasted

On medium heat place olive oil into a pot with onion and garlic, lightly saute until the onion is translucent. Add carrots and potatoes, saute for about 1 minute then add broth (just enough to cover your veggies). Add salt & pepper. Cook on low heat until you can put a fork through your veggies, (about 20 minutes).
In a blender, place some of your veggies, peanut butter, curry powder and broth and blend until smooth. Repeat as needed-Don't overfill your blender! Pour the soup back into the pot.
Okay now... Toast the almonds on a small skillet...
Serve soup in your favorite bowl garnish with almonds & olive oil and enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. oh, you said that already.
    my gf wants me to cook with less meat so I will try this recipe. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a dork. And it goes to show how good I am at blogging that I had no idea I'd get comments. Yes, she loved the soup. It's a no brainer, grown-ups will like. Kids...it depends. I hope you enjoy it:)

    ReplyDelete