Monday, March 29, 2010

In my defense, I am not a baker.

My daughter is a Coraline fan. I just realized that initial statement is sort of an understatement.
(see picture below cake)

For her birthday she requested we make a cake in the fashion of Coraline's sweater. It was my first time using fondant. My advice is read the directions carefully and make sure your kitchen is not too hot, otherwise the fondant will stick to e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g! It didn't happen to me, but I watch plenty of Ace of Cakes episodes to know better!
I mixed the color myself, using store bought frosting and a concentrated dark blue gel color from a local party supply store, although next time I think I'll use icing instead of frosting. The frosting was goopy, but the gloss was nice. The cakes were yellow & chocolate store bought mixes with a fudge filling.

My birthday girl was over the moon about her cake.
And I think Duff Goldman would be impressed:)








2 comments: